How about adding a little flavor to your next bbq chicken. Adobo is Spanish for sauce and chipolte is a ripened jalapeno that is smoked. The spiciness of the pepper and the sweetness of the mango give this dish a great flavor.
* 1 1/2 cups mango, peeled, pitted and roughly chopped
* 3/4 cup fresh cilantro (loose pack, not chopped, stems and all)
* 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
* 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice wine vinegar
* 4 cloves garlic, peeled
* 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon canola oil, plus extra for grill
* 2 teaspoons kosher salt
* 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
* 2 pounds chicken thighs and drumsticks, bone in, skin on
Put the mango, cilantro, chipotle, vinegar, garlic, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of oil and salt and pepper, in a food processor and puree until smooth. Adjust seasonings, to taste.
Add the chicken with half the mango mixture to a resealable plastic bag, and massage to coat the chicken with the sauce. Refrigerate at least 6 hours to marinate.
Put the other half of the mango mixture into a small saucepan and simmer over low heat until thick, stirring often, about 15 minutes. Set some of the simmered chipotle-mango sauce aside to serve on the side and baste the chicken every few minutes with the rest of the sauce.
Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat and brush with canola oil. Remove the chicken from the marinade and put on the grill.
Grill the chicken turning and basting about every 5 minutes until cooked through, about 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter and serve with the reserved mango sauce.